- 1. Why is it so difficult to find a rental property in Amsterdam ?
This is because the demand for rental housing far exceeds the supply.
- 2. Why is the acceptance of tenants by landlords not easy while I can pay the rent ?
Landlords and their brokers are careful and selective because:
- •The reality is that there are plenty of choices among the large number of candidates.
- •A home owner feels more comfortable with tenants with a higher income and a stable job.
- •Some homeowners have previously a bad experience with their former tenant.
- •Bad screening of tenants backgrounds can sometimes go very wrong. Once the house has been rented out, it is no longer easy for the landlord to get his property back. Think of defaulters, tenants with criminal activities, tenants who cause nuisance to the neighbors and damage to the property.
- 3. As a student from abroad who wants to rent a house in Amsterdam with a classmate and our parents ara able to guarantee the rental obligations. Is that possible ? and how does it work?That’s absolutely possible. you must provide the necessary documents from your parents such as income, passport and confirmation letter confirming their intention to guarantee the rental obligation.
- Security Deposit
- 4. How much is the security deposit that landlords ask for? and how do I get the bridging position back at the end without complexations?
The minimum deposit is equal to 1 month's rent, but 2 is also requested. if you have no rent arrears or left damage in the house, you will simply get your deposit back. the landlord has the right to inspect the house properly after the house has been handed over. you should just pay the last month's rent. so the deposit is not deducted from the last month's rent
- Rental Period
- 5. How long is the temporary rental period for an expat?
Most landlords offer a maximum of 2 years lease. This is also the maximum allowed temporary rental period. Some owners offers 1 year.
- 6. If I become a tenant of a rental property, do I have the guarantee that I can continue living until the end of the rental period?
Yes, unless you are in serious payment arrears, cause major nuisance, or carry out criminal activities in the home. then the landlord can terminate the lease through the court.
- 7. Can I choose to live longer when the first rental period ends?
No, you need approval from your landlord for that. If you don't get that, you have to leave the house.
- 8. Do home owners always rent out temporary ?
No, in some cases you can continue to live in a rented house for an indefinite period of time. These cases are:
- •When the lease is renewable
- •When you receive an extension from the landlord after the first rental period.
- •When the landlord does not send a notice of termination when the first rental period ends.
- Canceling the Rental Contract
- 9. Can I leave the house at any time after I have rented the home?
You always have the option to leave the house with one month notice period. Make sure you receive proof that the landlord has received your cancellation.
- Additional Monthly Costs
- 10. What are the extra monthly costs on top of rent?
These are Electricity, Gas, Water, Internet and taxes.
- 11. What kind of taxes doI have to pay as a tenant?
City water tax and cleaning tax think of something between € 40 and € 50 per month.
- 12. Why do I need to pay an Agency Fee?
In recent years there has been major confusion about the brokerage fees of rental agents. That is understandable, especially if you often read terms like Forbidden, not allowed and Illegal. Simply put, the law forbids brokers to charge commission from two sides, tenant, and landlord.
Yamsterdam focuses on working on behalf of its home-rental candidates. Because little has been written about this option, in Yamsterdam we believe it is important that tenants understand the difference between due and illegal commission payments. To illustrate this, here are some of the most common examples of how tenants find their new homes:
a. Rental Agency Represents the Tenant. This is the only scenario where it is legal for rental agencies to charge the commission to the Tenant. When the tenant asks arental agency to find him a home, the agency must spend time, personnel cost, transportation and other fixed office costs. In this case is very usual ( likethe most countries in Europe) that the rental agency charges the tenant the agency fee which is one month rent plus the VAT tax. Naturally, the tenant must sign an assignment confirmation with the broker. In Yamsterdam we comply with this law by requesting our clients to sign this document, however, we offer the possibility of postponing this signature (and payment thereof) until we have secured a home for our client.
b. Rental Agency Represents the Landlord. Intermediary agencies representing the landlord are not permitted to charge costs to the tenant. It does not matter what these costs are called: commission, key money, or contract, intermediary and administration fees. The law is clear about this and court rulings in recent years have reinforced it. You can reclaim such costs up to six months after signing the rental contract.
c. Landlord Offer the Property by Himself. If you renta house directly from a landlord, it is certainly forbidden for the landlord to charge extra costs from his tenant. You can reclaim such costs after signing ther ental contract.
- 13. What can I expect from this services?
We ensure to find fits that actually work, in orderto avoid spending resources on fruitless viewings. This way, both Landlords and Tenantshave a smaller amount of viewings, with a high rate of success.
- 1. Are the tenants screened?
After the rental candidate has viewed your property and confirmed his interest to us, this rental candidate will be offered to you by us. When you like the candidate, we begin screening by requesting his ID, income details, bank statements and references. If everything is correct, we will forward you this information.
We will of course arrange an introductory meeting between you and this rental candidate at our office or at the property location.
- 2. What are the conditions to be able to rent out a house without a price limit?
Also called “liberalized sector” is an essential basis for being able to charge the desired rent. The home must have sufficient points in accordance with the home valuation system. The property must have at least 145 points. You can find everything about the points through the following link.
- 3. What is the minimum and maximum rental period for temporary rental?
Minimum 6 months, maximum 24 months.
- 4. I want to rent my property on a temporary model. Is Rental Protection Inevitable?
See Model B Rental Agreement.
- 5. What are the termination options for temporary rental?
The rental ends automatically after the agreed term. This means that termination of the lease by the landlord is not necessary. The landlord must, however, send a written notification to the tenant on time, in which the agreed end date of the contract is communicated to the tenant.
- 6. Can I extend my rental agreement after the first period, in the same conditions?
Extension of the rental agreement for a specific period is not possible. If this does happen, the rental agreement automatically changes into a rental agreement for an unlimited period according to the law.
- For example: if a rental agreement has been agreed for 1 year and it is subsequently extended for a further 1 year, then according to the law, the rental agreement automatically changes into a rental agreement for an unlimited period from the date of renewal, whereby the tenant has full rent protection.
Buy a Business
- The Business Transfer
- 1. I often see on the internet that a business is for sale. What do you mean by buying? what exactly am I buying?
Usually the term “buy” is used instead of ( business transfer ). This is about the goodwill & inventory of that case.
- 2. What is the business transfer price based on?
Every business location has certain properties that influence the value of the business price. Think of these factors:
- •Possible Rent Price
- •Lease Agreement
- 3. Is there a chance thatI will not get an agreement from the landlord after I have reached a deal with the seller of the business location ?
That's right, the landlord has the right to screen and review the new tenant's application. To achieve landlord approval, you often need to come up with a clear business plan and demonstrable financial resources.
- Business Brokers
- 4. What is the benefit of a business broker in a business transfer ? isn't it better to do business directly between buyer and seller?
Buyers and sellers of business premises first choose for their own interests. That makes sense. Often things go wrong during a negotiation phase or when fulfilling verbal agreements.
- • A good business broker ensures the best possible results from the negotiations between the buyer and seller.
- • The business broker uses his knowledge and experience to provide the landlord a complete file in order to reach an agreement for the parties.
- • The business broker keeps a record of all verbal agreements so that parties do not go back on their agreements without consequences.
- • Finally, a reliable business broker also ensures a safe payment transaction.
Restaurants& Cafés ( Horeca )
8- I want to buy arestaurant in Amsterdam, Which license category should I choose ? ·
Do you want to start a fast food restaurant or snack bar? then you need
Horeca 1 category.
Horeca 2 category isintended for discotheques
Horeca 3 category isrequired for a cafe and bar.
Horeca 4 category isrequired for a restaurant or cafeteria.
Horeca 5 = Hotels
Horeca 6 = Museums
9- If a Horeca businesshas a valid permit, do I still need to apply for a new permit?
Yes, for a Horecabusiness you must submit a new application for the operating license to theCity at all times. This permit is granted after the City investigates all kindsof matters, including the Bibob Check.
10- Wat is the BibobCheck ?
Bibob means Promoting integrity assessments bythe public administration. The Bibob check provides that the government mayrefuse or withdraw permits, subsidies, tenders and real estate transactions ifthere is a risk that criminals will abuse them.With the Bibob check,the City assesses whether there is a danger that:
advantagesfrom criminal activities are exploited. For example, by money laundering punishableoffenses are committed.
TheCity can also refuse a permit or subsidy if a criminal offense has beencommitted (for example, forgery or bribery) in order to obtain the permit orsubsidy or to enter into the real estate transaction with the municipality.
11- What are the rules of a food store or takeaway store with a mixed formula ( mengformule ) ?
Atakeaway shop is not a horeca business and may not have a horeca appearance.horeca activities are permitted for a small part if the retail space has amixed formula ( mengformule )
Witha mixed formula ( mengformule ), consumption on site is allowed, the foodproducts may be prepared in the mixed formula ( mengformule ) area 20% of thepublicly accessible part of the store and in the back of the store with anabsolute maximum surface area of 20 m2. ·
Theopening hours of the mixing formula( mengformule ) correspond to the openinghours of the main activity ( the shop ).
No terrace, reclama or alcohol.
- 12- I want to open a shop in the center of Amsterdam. Does it require a specific permit?
That depends on your business plan. For example, do you choose for a clothing store, barber shop, delicacy, butcher's shop or tattoo shop?You do not need a permit for this. However, the location must have a retail license.
- 13- If you want to sell specific products such as sandwiches, souvenirs, ice cream or supermarket products?
Here you should inform well before opening a new store. But when you take over an existing store, it is allowed to continue the current business.
- 14 - What kind of new stores can I no longer open in the center of Amsterdam?
Below you can see all types of companies what the city of Amsterdam is stopping further growth:
- •Tourist shops
- •Food stores
- •Souvenir Shops§ Mini supermarkets
- •Smart shops
- •Offices with counter function aimed at tourists
- •Tourism services
- •Massage salons
- •Seed shops
- •Grow shops
- •Head shops
- •Telephony cafés
- •Gambling machines
- •Money Exchange Offices
- •Facilities focused on entertainment
- 15- Where in Amsterdam does this ban apply?
Below you can see which parts of the city theban applies to:
- •Postal code area 1012
- •Great Waterloo
- •Oosterdokseiland South
- •Eastern Islands
- •Eastern city center
- •West Inner City
- •Southern Downtown
Sell your Business
- 1. My business is making good turnover. I want to sell it . How can I calculate the value of my location?
The business price has to be based on somewhere.Only the profit will count for a buyer who wants to continue with your current business. So you sell the goodwill.
- For a buyer who has a new concept, other factors count. Think of the location, license, rent, surface and inventory.
- 2. I have invested more than €135,000 in my business in renovation but the business is not doing well.Can I sell my business without a loss?
Unfortunately, the renovation does not determine the business price. The location, destination and operating expenses play a greater role in the valuation of the business price.
- 3. I want to sell my business but I employ staff. How does it work if the buyer does not want to take over staff In this case, you can apply for a dismissal permit via UWV. You need to pay a transition payment to your employees.
- You can find everything about redundancy and transition payment in this link.
- 4. My landlord wants tobdecide for himself about the tenants of my business. Is that allowed ?Yes, the landlord has the right to screen and assess the application of the new renter of his property. In order to obtain approval from the landlord, the buyer must come up with a clear business plan and demonstrable financial security.
- Substitution / Indeplaatsstelling
- 5. Does the buyer of my business always receive a new lease from my landlord?No, there is also another way of renting to a commercial space, this is called substitution..
- In the case of substitution, the new owner of the business takes the place of the old owner in the existing lease. The new owner thus takes over the current lease from the seller, including all associated rights and obligations. This means that the rent, conditions and all agreements made by the old owner remain in force.
- 6. My landlord refuses to enter into a new lease agreement with the buyer of my business and also the substitution. What is the solution?In that case, as the original renter, you can claim from the subdistrict court that you be authorized to put the new person in your place as a renter. You must demonstrate that you meet the conditions for substitution..
- Of course, we recommend you to inquire about this with your lawyer.
- Business Broker
- 7. Can I sell my business without using a business broker and reach an agreement with my landlord?That is absolutely possible. Only in this way will all the burdens that a business broker can take over from you will be placed on your shoulders.
- Think about:
- •You will be called ,e-mailed daily and sometimes you will receive a visit at the location without an appointment.
- •You also need to be aware of unserious buyers who are trying to lower the value of your business as much as possible. You should have enough time, energy and patience for that.
- •Negotiation with buyers requires sufficient knowledge and experience.
- •With a price agreement you must have security before you approach the landlord because buyers can always go back on their agreements.
- •Payment for this transfer must be guaranteed before you dissolve the lease with your landlord. From experience we see that parties are concerned about the outcome of the settlement.
- •A good business broker ensures the best possible results from the negotiations between the buyer and seller.
- •The business broker uses his knowledge and experience to provide the landlord with a complete file in order to reach an agreement for the seller and buyer.
- •The business broker records all verbal agreements so that parties do not go back on their agreements without consequences.
- •Finally, a reliable business broker also ensures a safe settlement.
Do you still have questions?
Visit, call or send us an email, we look forward to meeting you!Get in Contact